Thursday, April 2, 2015

Finding Monster Muckabee

Finding Monster Muckabee was the title of a speech I gave for my Fortuna, CA, Toastmasters Club in 2008. At that time, I had not yet completed Tiggle Trouble, and it was far from being published. However, my main character, Monster Muckabee, was alive and well.

Before Muckabee, I had written for assignments, career and personal projects. I had never written about an imaginary creature in an imaginary place. I could only guess how much fun it would be. And fun it was.

In developing Muckabee, my creativity had no bounds. At any time of the day or night I might think of some small detail to add to Muckabee’s character or world. I kept notepads in my car, in my purse and on my nightstand to record any idea that might come to mind.

Since I had recently moved to Eureka, CA, and wasn’t well connected, Muckabee became my constant companion. He tagged along with me everywhere. Those in my writing group watched him mature from a vague idea to a real being, and even helped him along the way.

It was a bittersweet moment when I sent Muckabee off to publication. I remind myself that he and I haven’t parted ways; Muckabee has already been nudging me to take him on another adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment